The Dreaming and the Doing
Newsflash. There is a difference between dreaming and doing. They are not the same thing.
I like to woodwork. One poster on social media has a signature which is amusing. After his name, he always ends with. ‘Thinking about woodworking, is not woodworking. Reading about woodworking, is not woodworking. Woodworking is woodworking’. Just in case anybody stuck on social media got confused.
I am guilty of this more than I would like to admit. One need only look in my garage to discover that I have now much more wood than time to do projects. I have had to sometimes bypass woodworking shows, in case I come home with more prize wood to put in the garage for a ‘some day’ kind of project that might never arrive.
I was in the gym the other day and reminded of the same thing. One scant month after New Years resolutions, the gym is noticeably empty. All those good intentions are lying in bed at six AM.
Reality can be a bit of a dash of cold water in the face for those who are dreamers, building their castles in the air. Here are ten real-life observations about dreaming and doing, as best I can make out.
1) There is a big difference between dreaming and reality. It’s not that the arrived at reality is better, or worse, it is just... different.
2) Doing is always more messy.
3) You might miserably fail in the doing.
4) Doing can suck some of the savour out of the dreaming.
5) All accomplishments are a whole lot of doing strung together over time.
6) Even badly executed doing eventually adds up to something.
7) Some people will always prefer the dreaming because it can never be ruined.
8) Doing is always imperfect and incomplete.
9) Doing is the only reality you will get of what you are dreaming about
10) Those whose thinking you consider to be wrong may actually be DOING a better job than you
It seems that dreaming and doing are largely sifted together with the idea of hubris. Hubris is the curse from the gods, that we dream of more than we are capable of. It is the nature of being human. Any misconceptions, they will be ironed out in the doing.